A briefing on preparations for the Rio +20 Summit is available from the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), focusing on culture as key element of sustainability: “We believe that the paradigm of sustainable development needs a cultural pillar, and its implementation deserves cultural content. The Agenda 21 for culture (2004), the Policy Statement of Mexico on “Culture: the Fourth Pillar of Sustainable Development” (2010) and the local actions undertaken by our members and partners are the best evidence of progress.
UCLG is preparing its strategy for the Rio+20 Summit. The key messages put forward by UCLG are:
- Making Culture as fourth pillar of sustainable development
- Tackling climate change
- Contributing to international governance in sustainable development field
- Making cities resilient”
To read the briefing (PDF file): Click here
Cultura21′s international network, launched in April 2007, offers the online and offline platform for exchanges and mutual learning among its members.
– Sacha Kagan (based in Lüneburg, Germany) and Rana Öztürk (based in Berlin, Germany)
– Oleg Koefoed and Kajsa Paludan (both based in Copenhagen, Denmark)
– Hans Dieleman (based in Mexico-City, Mexico)
– Francesca Cozzolino and David Knaute (both based in Paris, France)