The Guapamacátaro Center
for Art and Ecologyis a site-based and community-oriented initiative where artists from different disciplines, scientists, educators and activists converge to foster culture, collaboration and sustainable development.
M I C H O A C A N / / M E X I C O
Our Interdisciplinary Residency in Art and Ecology Program has been around for 10 years, granting space and production support for people who are doing innovative work worldwide, across the arts and sciences. During their stay (3 weeks), participants use the hacienda grounds as a laboratory for the creative process and engaging with the local community. They are free to work whenever desired in the provided studios and anywhere in the property. Experimentation is encouraged as is discourse and collaboration.
* Open to professionals from all countries, cultural backgrounds and aesthetics.
* Language requirements: BOTH English and Spanish (at least beginner level).
* Up to 10 people per session are selected from a mix of the following disciplines:
- Performing Arts (Music, Dance, Performance, Theater, Puppetry, etc)
- Visual Arts (Painting, Drawing, Mixed-Media, Photography, Film/Video, etc)
- Sculpture and Installation
- Design and Architecture
- Humanities and Social Sciences (Anthropology, Philosophy, Writing, etc)
- Natural Sciences (Ecology, Hydrology, Biology, Geology, etc)
- LIVE/WORK SPACE: Single or double occupancy bedrooms and studios, plus common areas at the hacienda, at NO COST (a $2,000 USD value per person).
- PRODUCTION SUPPORT to realize one or more projects while in residency.
- PUBLIC EXHIBITION at the Open House event on the last week of the residency.
- DIGITAL CATALOG showcasing each participant’s work, with a review written by a guest curator or writer.
- CONNECTIONS with Mexico’s cultural and academic presenters.
- LIVING EXPENSES: All utilities, cleaning services, drinking water and three meals per day (self-serve breakfast, prepared lunch and dinner) at NET COST: $750 USD for the 3 weeks ($15,000 MX peso / € 700 Euro approximately).
- TRANSPORTATION: We do not cover transportation expenses, but can assist you in pursuing additional funding with other sources, to cover such expenses.